Jerry Tuttle's personal page

      I am a card carrying member of AARP, divorced and with a wonderful girlfriend, father of three sons, and a grandpa. I have a bachelor’s in math from Queens College, a master’s in math from the University of Virginia, a master’s in educational technology from New Jersey City University, and a master’s in data analysis from Southern New Hampshire University. I hung up my slide rule after 42 years and retired as a casualty actuary. Actuary means a mathematician specializing in insurance. Casualty means property and liability (hurricanes and malpractice lawsuits) insurance, rather than life insurance or employee benefits.

      I have taken a number of insurance-related exams since I have been working. My professional designations that I have earned by passing exams include FCAS, CPCU, ARM, ARe, AIM, and FCIA. I have taken online courses and exams in Finance, Regression, Time Series, Race and Ethnic Groups, Copyright, and Data Science, which helped me become a fan of online education, including Southern New Hampshire University, where I teach math and data analysis online. I wrote a study guide for the Praxis Core Math exam. I have also become a notary public.

      I grew up in New York City and still have my New York accent. I like a caw-fee before I wawk my

dawg. I played softball and chess in my youth. I played some softball in an over 60 league, but I don’t have any more hits left in me. While in college I “did” the NYC subway system with some friends – traveling to every station on a single fare – it took 26 hours, 40 minutes. I did an occasional airline mileage run just to gain mileage points, and my longest was round-trip Newark to Anchorage, with a few stops in between, within 26 hours. I also took Trailways buses across the country one summer – that took about a month. when I got to California, I played a little – Roller Derby!
If I had been either a little faster or a little bigger in those days, my career might have turned out much differently.

      I think there is a good trend in what is happening in mathematics education. I am in favor of rethinking how we teach mathematics to make it more equitable for all students, and of rethinking math problems that rely on stereotypical assumptions. I published an article in the September, 1990 issue of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Mathematics Teacher magazine , I published an article on why your auto insurance premium goes up after an accident, and I occasionally blog on R-bloggers . I have spoken at a few math teacher meetings. I am currently interested in mathematical computer simulation and in interesting applications of data science, and I’d be happy to talk about it.

Some of my other pages:

● Does the Bible say pi equals three?
● The birthday problem, the next number in the sequence in the problem, and the dead body problem.
● Why do auto insurers raise your rate after an accident?
1 + 1 = 0
● A baseball trivia question combing baseball and history
Famous athletes I crossed paths with
Online college math teacher
Notary public

Please say hello at fcas@aol.com.

Comments